Helpful Retainer Tips
- Wear your removable retainer 24 hours a day, including when you sleep. Take it out to eat
and brush only.
- If you have a fixed lower retainer, continue to brush and floss like normal. You can push
super floss at the gum line and thread it through like you did on your braces.
- Your retainer may taste funny at first. This will go away in a few days. It is only because it is
- Your removable retainer may make your teeth sore for a few days. If you have a pressure point
on the plastic, please contact us to fix it for you.
- Brush the retainer with your toothbrush and toothpaste.
- Do not use denture cleaner to soak retainers. The cleaner eats away at the solders.
- Brush with toothpaste only!
- Always put retainer in the retainer box! NEVER wrap in a tissue or a napkin as it WILL get
- Do not flip the retainer with your tongue. This can damage your teeth and/or break the
retainer. The wire can get stuck in your cheek and hurt!!
- Do not leave your retainer in the car in the summertime! The car will get too hot and the
retainer could warp.
- Do not swim in the retainer.
- Do not leave the retainer out with pets around. They smell the saliva and will try to eat it!
- BRING your retainer with you to each appointment!